This holiday side dish recipe combines sweet, salty and tangy flavors to tantalize the taste buds for your holiday meal. A great addition to any Thanksgiving buffet. This simple but tasty dish will have your guests coming back for more!
Yield: 6-8 serving
• ½ pound thick cut bacon
• 2 pounds Brussel sprouts, cut in half
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or 1 tablespoon of bacon grease
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 cup toasted pecan halves
• ½ cup dried cranberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Place the bacon pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and place into the preheated oven. Cook the bacon for 20-25 minutes or until semi-crispy. The bacon should be crisp and browned but still have a meaty chew to it.
3. Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut the bacon into ¼ inch strips. (If you are planning to use the bacon grease for the recipe keep it warm so it can coat the Brussel sprouts.)
4. Place the Brussel sprouts and garlic in a bowl. Pour the olive oil or bacon grease over the Brussel sprouts, garlic and toss to evenly coat them.
5. Season the Brussel spouts with salt and pepper and toss to coat as well.
6. Place the Brussel spouts on a parchment lined baking sheet and place into the preheated oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the Brussel sprouts are roasted and tender. If not completely done put them back in the oven for 5 minutes longer.
7. Remove the Brussel sprouts from the oven and drizzle them with the balsamic vinegar. Place the cooked Brussel sprouts into a bowl and add the pecans, cooked bacon and cranberries. Toss them to get an even mix and distribution of all the ingredients. Place on a platter or a plate and serve. Enjoy!