Despite the mild Bay Area weather, autumn is here conjuring thoughts of the fast-approaching holidays and delicious pumpkin recipes. At the Riggs Distributing, Inc. Sub-Zero | Wolf Culinary Events Center, we have perfected pumpkin muffins with 3 tricks that will get raves every time you make them.
1. Use Fresh Pumpkin.
While canned pumpkin or squash can seem like a time saver, using a ripe, fresh pumpkin helps add a depth of flavor that is somehow lost with the canned versions. Using the Wolf Convection Steam Oven you can get fresh pumpkin puree (or squash) in very little time AND it’s a breeze to cut peel and cut!
- Simply add a whole 3-5 pound pumpkin (a ripe Sugar Pie pumpkin works best) into the CSO on a perforated sheet pan
- Set the oven on Steam Mode at 210 degrees and set the time for 25 minutes.
- Check the doneness of the squash by sticking a knife into the flesh. If it inserts easily, the pumpkin is done; if not, then continue to steam in 5 minutes increments.
- Once the pumpkin has cooled, peeling, seeding, and chopping the pumpkin is easy.
- Simply puree the flesh (with some water) in your Wolf Gourmet Blender and add to the recipe (use what is left over for soups, pies, latte, and any other dish you want)!
2. Coconut Oil
Often pumpkin muffins, or any muffin for that matter can have the thickness and texture a thick, wet and dense brick. Coconut oil keeps our muffins light and moist while also highlighting the pumpkin and spices. We use refined coconut oil, often utilized in baking as it keeps the benefits of the oil without adding any contrasting coconut flavor.
3. CSO: Convection Humid Mode
Regular baking and even convection baking can easily dry out the best muffin recipes leading to new version with more liquids and fats causing them to be too thick and dense (see above comment). The Convection Humid Mode seals the moisture into the oven so they evenly bake in an ideal environment eliminating the need for additional liquids and fats in your muffins.
Find the recipe here:
This recipe is versatile as well. For a variation on this delicious recipe try adding:
Toasted pumpkin seeds (lightly salted and sprinkle on top before baking)
Toasted Pecans (mix into the batter)
Chocolate Chips (mix into the batter)
Top with Cream Cheese Frosting
How do you like to make your pumpkin muffins? Let us know below!